- excessive width or projection of the nose
- insufficient nasal tip height or projection
- nasal disproportion, asymmetry or hump of the nose
- dissatisfaction with the shape of the nasal tip, bridge or nostrils
Anaesthesia: General anaesthesia
Duration: 1-2 hours.
Outpatient/inpatient: Usually one night stay at the hospital is required
Procedure: Aesthetic nose operations can be done either with closed or open approach. In “closed” rhinoplasty, through incisions hidden within the nostrils and a small incision in the columella (the strip of skin between the nostrils), the skin is lifted from the underlying supporting framework. The bone and cartilage framework of the nose is sculpted to the desired shape, and the skin is then redraped. In open rhinoplasty, the strip of skin between the nostrils are cut completely and there will remain a permanent scar at the site of the incision.
Recovery: Swelling and bruising affecting the nose and adjacent eyelids peak at 2 days after surgery and rapidly resolve over the next 2 weeks.
- Patients wear a nasal splint for 1 week
- Return to school or work after 7-10 days, but nostrenuous activity or contact sports for 6 weeks.
- Subtle swelling and numbness of the nasal tip will remain for up to 6 months.
Results: Provides a permanent correction
Risks: Infection, hematoma, scarring, nosebleed
Residual asymmetry or deformity.